County Hall, London
In 1908 a 29 year old architect, Ralph Knott, unexpectedly won a competition to design a fitting home for the London County Council. The building, which was designed in the Edwardian baroque style and faced in Portland stone, was opened in 1922 by King George V. The building was further developed in the 1930's with additional north and south blocks and in the 1970's with an ugly Island block fortunately now demolished.
County Hall was 'sold-off' in the 1990's due to political conflicts between the National and London governments. The main part of the building is now a major entertainment centre with top tourist attractions, hotels, restaurants and private apartments.